Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Decorating Pumpkins... Toddler Style!

Decorating pumpkins is one of my favorite things about Halloween - probably a close second to getting candy! For Derek and me, it's really a family affair. Family or friends come over and we spread a huge drop-cloth or piles of newspaper in the living room and all carve away. So it was really important to us to be able to get Emma involved. I saw this idea on Young House Love last year, and have been looking forward to trying it ever since!

We got two small pumpkins for Emma. (And at a dollar apiece, I can't complain!)


I smoothed on a layer of painters tape, then traced out two jack-o-lantern faces.


With a sharp knife, I cut around my pattern, and peeled away the excess tape.


After spreading an old plastic table cloth over the highchair and table - to help with clean up - we let Emma go to town with finger paint!


She had fun getting messy, smearing paint, and splashing in the tub afterwards! The finished product turned out great, but I would suggest peeling off the tape when the paint is still wet. I waited until the next morning, when the pumpkins were dry, and there were a few sections that had thicker paint that tried to come off in big chunks. With a little finesse, the edges turned out fairly clean, but I think it would have been easier if the paint was wet.


All in all, it was a blast to watch Emma decorate her pumpkins, and she looked like she had a blast well. We'll certainly do this with youngsters for Halloween again! 


What did you do with pumpkins this year? How did you include younger kids and toddlers in the activity? 

No comments:

Post a Comment