Monday, April 29, 2013

Toddler Activities: 20 Months Old

One of the challenges of being a stay at home mom is finding activities for your little one to keep them entertained throughout the day. These are a few of our current favorite activities:


Letter Jump: I saw this great alphabet learning game on Pinterest and had to try it! In the original post, they made letters out of painter’s tape right on the floor, and then used little flashcards with the alphabet to choose the letter to jump on. Because I have an 8-1/2-months-pregnant belly, and the idea of laying out a bunch of letters on the floor with tape did not appeal to me, I cheated a little bit and used some alphabet foam tiles that Emma got for Christmas. I popped out the inner letter from a few of the tiles, threw the tiles all over the floor and put the letters in our laundry basket. One by one, I held up a letter from the basket, said the letter and Emma went and jumped onto the tile for that letter. There were a couple that she needed help with, but overall she did very well.


Tongs Practice: Emma thinks that tongs are pretty neat, so one afternoon, I grabbed her little sand bucket, the tongs, and a few of Emma's bath toys. I showed her how to use the tongs to pick up her bath toys and put them in her bucket. It took her a few tries - one time using both hands, on time with just one hand - but she got the hang of it pretty quick. She also really enjoyed dumping the bucket after she'd picked up all the toys.

And, of course...


Read: Reading is one of the best activities you can do with your child at any age!

A few of Emma's current favorites are:

My 3 good things for today are:
  1. Derek made a fantastic ice cream cake from this recipe. We all gave it a thumbs up!
  2. It's so warm outside, we may actually be able to plant some flowers in the garden this week.
  3. I (hopefully) get to meet the little guy in a matter of DAYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment